Summary: Does your website ensure you maximum search engine visibility?
How do buyers and sellers find your website? “MARCO”….”POLO”
I’ve been helping Top Producing Real Estate Agents create profitable online businesses since 1997. Traditionally, I warn clients of the challenges of search engine optimization for template sites, in the ever changing Google Universe.
One of the primary problems with most template websites is that they come with “default” or “built in” content. Default content hurts your site for two reasons:
- Stock info, doesn’t speak to your target audience or local market.
- Common content found on other Agents websites, will cause search engines to discount the value of your content and website; thus, killing any possibility for top search engine ranking.
Most real estate website templates are horrible, when it comes to search engine optimization. This is especially true for older technology and designs. Many companies that call realtors and offer “Special Pricing Today Only” use older architecture and frames that hurt the SEO power of your websites. Think back:
- How did you purchase your template website?
- Does your site use framing?
- Did your site come with “default” content, so you didn’t have to create your own?
- How old is your sites search engine architecture? When did you purchase it?
Frames and stock content really help the company who sells you the template, because their staff doesn’t have to do much to get you started; so the company can sell it to you at rock bottom prices. You don’t spend much money, but you also don’t get any help succeeding on the internet. In fact, if you have a template site that isn’t getting found, then you probably purchased it from one of the well-known names in our industry, who provided you with a website built with pages that are invisible to the search engines.
Here’s the real truth about real estate template websites … and this comes from 12 plus years experience marketing top agents on the web:
Typical website templates hurt your SEO , because of the way the templates are structured and used.
A template is simply a pre-built website that you can customize with your own content, logo, color preferences, etc. So, from an SEO standpoint,you need something more than a basic, template website so you can easily and strategically create your own, unique, content. Real Pro Systems websites are well designed and offer easy editing so you can easily customize your website and publish compelling content, video (etc...). As far as search engines go, Real Pro Systems websites aren't much different than building a custom website.
I’ll stress that again. A custom-built website and a Real Pro Systems, search engine friendly website, are equal in terms of search engine ranking / SEO potential. Real Pro Sytems provides well structured. search engine friendly websites, then the rest is up to you.Here’s the difference when you’re trying to create search engine ranking, visibility and search-driven web traffic:
- If you start with a well designed, architecturally sound, real estate website and fill it with your own custom content, and a dynamic blog; then, there’s no limit to accomplishing successful search engine rankings.
- However, if you start with a real estate template website that comes complete with default content from your provider and frames to bring in content from other websites; then you’ve limited your success before even getting started.
The key is to start with a well-built site that is also search engine “friendly,” and then customize it with your own content, branding, videos, photos etc. This means, you could have a professional real estate website up and running in less time, for less cost, and with search engine potential similar to that of a custom website. However, also remember that low cost, commodity providers need to use framing and default content to keep the price down. In short, caveat emptor…..”buyer beware,” because you only get what you pay for! If you want to dig for gold, you can’t use a plastic spoon.
Also, make sure you’re not just buying the look only. Sure, you want a nice-looking, modern website; but don't just get a pretty template site, make sure it’s:
- Easy to add pages, menus etc…basically easy to customize (for somebody with basic HTML skills)
- Built with modern, up to date, web coding techniques
- Professional appearance
- Search engine “friendly” structure, coding, etc.
- New Content gets resubmitted to the search engines
- Clearly worth the price
So let’s sum it up…
- Not all websites are created equal
- You get what you pay for
- Some templates are horrible for SEO, while customizeable websites, like REAL PRO SYSTEMS are awesome for SEO
- Avoid default content and framing
- Investing in the right website, staying away from commodity templates and using the site properly saves you time, money and frustration
- You can’t go wrong with REAL PRO SYSTEMS internet business solutions, because they avoid the pitfalls listed above; giving you a modern professional appearance with a search engine friendly website that's clearly worth the price.
Rick Headley - "Your Hero On The Web"